Extended Health Insurance

Extended Health Insurance and Other Payment Plans

We are both Registered Psychotherapists (RP’s), approved by the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO).

We have been providing Individual and couples and marriage counselling for 20 years. We each have a Masters degree in Counselling Psychology, and very specific and ongoing training in couples and marriage therapy.

Registered Psychotherapists (RP’s) are now recognized by many insurance companies as provincially regulated professionals, however many employers have not yet updated their benefits packages to include RP’s as a new provider of mental health/psychotherapeutic services (similar to Social Workers and Psychologists). You can ask your employer/HR representative to include RP’s as part of your plan if they are not included already or you can verify whether your plan has been updated to include RP’s since the inception of the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO) in April 2015.

You may wish to speak to your Insurance Provider also about how to claim for these services. Each employer’s plan varies; we strongly recommend you verify what coverage you have.

If your Health Insurance Provider does not cover the services of RP’s yet, you may find that our membership in either of these three Associations may help you: Ontario Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (OAMFT), Canadian Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT); or Ontario Association of Consultants, Counsellors, Psychometrists and Psychotherapists (OACCPP).

Psychotherapy Services are also now recognized as a Medical Expense. The Canada Revenue Agency has recently recognized the cost of non-reimbursed services provided by Registered Psychotherapists as a medical expense eligible for tax credit.  The CRA website listing eligible expenses should reflect this change shortly.